Stress is experienced on various levels and shows up as symptoms on a physical, emotional, mental and behavioral level. In this article we will specifically look at how stress manifests as symptoms on a physical level.
Stress can be experienced in a range of different ways. Here are some of the common physical effects of stress.
1. Low Energy: Your energy may be reduced or low, you might easily get tired or have trouble getting up in the morning. Low energy may be experienced even though you think you have enough rest and sleep.
2. Disturbed sleep patterns: You might have trouble going to sleep, wake up multiple times at night and or not able to go back to sleep after waking up. The effect of disturbed sleep patterns is that your body is lacking the ability to psychologically digest the situations that happened during the day.
3. Physical tensions: You might experience pains in the body without any apparent obvious cause, like headaches, muscle tension, stiff neck etc.
4. Grinding or gritting teeth at night: You might grind or grit your teeth at night. Notice the muscle tension in your jaw or ask your dentist hillsboro about the state of your back teeth.
5. Digestive problems: You might feel bloated or constipated without any apparent physical cause. Stress immediately affects the stomach which might also lead to loss of appetite.
6. Chest area affected: You might experience difficulties in breathing, have chest tightness or pain, notice rapid heart rate without any obvious physical reason.
7. Arthritis and other – ‘itis’: You might notice increased outbreaks of arthritis and other inflammations or irritations on a physical level. Having to deal with this discomfort over a period of time also leads to more stress begin experienced.
8. Drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, and tranquilizer effects: A common behavioral symptom is the increased use of recreational drugs, cigarettes, tranquilizers and alcohol which leads to physical symptoms in itself and can increase other previously mentioned symptoms.
9. Restlessness: You might also feel that you find it hard to relax or be still. This might be experienced through nervous ticks like moving your legs up and down etc.
10. Low sex drive: You may experience low or lack of sex drive.
The symptoms mentioned can appear in any order but will very often be subtle at the beginning and become more intensive and include multiple symptoms when stress is not managed or the causes are not addressed.
Remember that stress can only be managed successfully over a period of time. Once you address the causes for the stress, your physical symptoms will reduce and subside given time.
For the other symptoms of stress, please refer to the following articles:
- Mental Symptoms of Stress
- Emotional Symptoms of Stress
- Behavioral Symptoms of Stress
Call East Wind hillsboro dental care today today at 503-614-0198 to see why we are the dentist hillsboro of choice in the Hillsboro, Beaverton, and Portland area.
East Wind hillsboro dental care today Address: 7546 NE Shaleen St Hillsboro, OR 97124, USA
Phone: 503-614-0198 Call us today!